Interested in working with me? Go ahead and contact me.
You do a lot in startups…
|Consultant Software Design and Engineering – Global/Remote||04/2014 – Present|
I believe in Entrepreneurs.
A decade now behind me, I’ve worked with over 30 startups and organizations, handfuls of thinkers and founders, and both small and large teams spread across the world. From “Ramen Noodle” startups to major VC backed ventures, I’ve contributed, managed, owned, and operated while transforming complex version one ideas into simple solutions and opportunity. I love big ideas, pioneering the unknown, and thrive bringing order to overwhelming chaos.
Got deadlines? Scaling up? Kicking off something new? Or maybe you just have an idea, and want to gain some friendly insight? Reach out to me, lets go change the world.
|Sr Software Developer TargetSpot – New York City, NY||10/2013 – 04/2014|
TargetSpot is the world’s largest digital audio advertising network servicing advertising to thousands of digital and terrestrial radio stations, with offices both in the U.S. and Europe, reaching millions of monthly uniques. As a full stack engineer on TargetSpot’s 10 person engineering team, my responsibilities entailed feature development, new technology, scalability and performance, software architecture, and dev ops.
• PHP 5.3, sometimes calling on other languages like Bash and Ruby for server-side scripting supporting all internal and externally facing software tools.
• Often a go-to on server side tooling and assisting in automation and process improvements.
• Defined and implemented strategy for a migration from SVN to Git, and implementation of Continuous Integration process via Jenkins.
• Worked on MySQL and Mongo strategy, performance improvements, indexing, table and query
optimization, migration tooling and process.
• Point on organizing large partner integration spanning many months, requiring multiple hats in product management and engineering.
• Designed and documented complex systems in both Wiki and LucidCharts.
• Suggested and presented on technologies to help improve engineering processes. Ie: Ansible, Git/GitHub, Percona TK, Jenkins, and others.
• Implemented a task runner command line dev tool, much like Rake in Rails, for TargetSpot’s custom PHP framework.
• Part of on-call rotation, monitoring nagios warnings, and responding to critical alerts.
• Investigated and fixed difficult software bugs, some of which have been lingering for years.
• Point on research to suggest a next generation development environment for TargetSpot engineers. Focused on the “where are we now”, “where to do we want to be”, and defined an incremental approach.
|Director of Software Development SkinnyPrice – San Francisco, CA ( remote from WV )||05/2013 – 10/2013|
Helped kick off and manage a startup from pre-seed funding days, to early seed funding. As the core
developer and company’s technical strategic voice, I set the stage for engineering processes.
• Reported directly to CEO.
• Suggested 3rd party relationships to help build company.
• Setup and managed AWS infrastructure and networking using RDS, EC2, and Route53, security groups, load balancing, and other server/network side skills.
• Created a continuous integration and development processes utilizing Jenkins, GitHub Hooks, and Railsless-capistrano deployment tooling.
• Scouted for engineering talent, conducted interviews, and managed a complete redesign of our core product.
• Integrated Volume11 Advertising partner into our core product.
• Managed external relationships in seeking e-commerce partners.
• Wrote code in PHP 5.3, on the Yii PHP Framework – LAMP stack.
|Software Engineer RealSelf – Seattle, WA ( remote from WV )||08/2012 – 05/2013|
RealSelf.com provides visitors everything they need to know to make a confident decision about cosmetic procedures — from braces to Botox, gastric bypass to facelifts.
• As the company’s only remote engineer, I worked on RealSelf.com and extensions of, which has on the order of 3 million+ unique visitors per month.
• Provided software development on a LAMP stack, using PHP 5.3, MySQL, Yii Framework, Virtual Box, OS X, AWS, and rails-less capistrano deployment tools.
• Primary developer on the Doctor Team, reported to VP of Engineering.
• Collaborated with designers, other engineers, and management to develop new features and improve existing features of RealSelf.com
• Refactored and scaled features through multiple facets including code skills and a product lens.
• Used tools such as Splunk, New Relic, and Pivotal Tracker to assist in issue tracking, monitoring, and management.
|Software Engineer Federated Media Publishing – San Francisco, CA ( remote from WV )||03/2012 – 08/2012|
Joined as a telecommute engineer to work on FM’s bread and butter ad platform, built on a homegrown framework that had been developed over many years, amounting to millions of lines of code.
Worked using PHP 5.3, MySQL, jQuery, Subversion/Git to improve interface, query efficiency, and overall code quality.
Wrote unit tests against new and legacy code using PHPUnit.
Advocated a switch from SVN to Git to improve branch and merge strategy on a large engineering team ( 20ish people ).
Refactored large amounts of code to follow stricter design patterns, moved SQL out of controllers and into models frequently.
Did support work for clients, bug investigations, and ad trafficking.
|Engineering Lead AdKeeper – Greater Pittsburgh, PA||04/2011 – 03/2012|
|Sr. Web Developer AdKeeper – Greater Pittsburgh, PA||09/2010 – 04/2011|
• Ground floor member of well-funded (43 mil) and innovative startup founded by Scott Kurnit, founder/CEO-About.com
• Promoted from Sr Web Developer to Engineering Lead in April 2011
• Managed other Sr Engineers while reporting primarily to VP of Engineering, and at times our CTO for certain projects.
• Lead on architecture on numerous projects, developed diagrams, defined web services APIs, infrastructure, and laid out technology requirements and choices.
• Implemented 3rd party services, including: SendGrid, GA, Tealium, Gigya, OpenX, Facebook Connect, Twitter, and others.
• Worked closely with product team to take ideas from whiteboard brainstorms to technical implementations.
• Worked almost entirely remote with a 40+ strong engineering team. Utilized video and voice conferencing solutions to create efficiency and cohesion. Occasional travel required for new product development and team gatherings.
• While primarily a frontend engineer, being at a startup, it was the norm to jump wherever help was needed. General hats I wore at times included assisting in operations tasks, project management, hands on coding, quality assurance testing, and product development.
|Lead Frontend Software Engineer Lockerz – Pittsburgh, PA||07/2009 – 09/2010|
• First in-house software engineer hire on ground floor, charged with heading up in-house frontend engineering agility for a new well funded social-commerce website thought by industry leader, Kathy Savitt ( recently new CMO of Yahoo! – Aug 2012 ).
• Provided direct support for software technology development to include frontend architecture, services APIs, deployment strategy, distributed systems, database design, caching strategy, source control management, internal tools, development, testing, production systems and operations.
• Scaled software platform to support member growth from 0 to 16 million users between 2009-2010.
• Provided hiring suggestions and recruited key individuals to build out in-house engineering teams.
• Played key rolls in a successful infrastructure and frontend technology rewrite to scale growth in less than 45 days.
• Authored middleware service-client that paved way for separable frontend teams to mix and match technology stacks to get projects to market faster.
• Lead on frontend technology, video platform, and social platform.
• Provided technical research, strategy, and 3rd party integrations.
Core Skills – PHP 5 OOP/MVC, CodeIgniter, Zend, Smarty, Apache 2, Nginx, Memcached, ICE, Java Knowledge, JSON, jQuery, AJAX, Ubuntu, Multi-tier Linux Server Expertise and Administration, Database Architecture and Administration, MySQL 5, XHTML, CSS, Drupal, SOAP, Project Management Skills, Open Source Software, Entrepreneurial Knowledge.
|Lead Software Engineer FirstString – Los Angeles, CA||04/2008 – 05/2009|
• As the first engineer hire on ground floor, I was responsible for creating core technical infrastructures, and oversaw all web product development.
• Organized specifications, planning, scrums, meetings, code reviews, and reported directly to the company President.
• Provided hiring suggestions to fill needed expertise.
• Deployed project management, version control, and communication tools to manage construction of a social network, engaged by a mix of roughly 10 software developers and designers.
• Turned business specifications into technical specifications in chart and written form. Continually documented code; and worked as a project manager, database architect, network administrator, and lead programmer.
• In 3 months, FirstString.com released as a web 2.0 beta. Within a year, the company established partnerships with “MySpace”, “Hilton Hotel”, “East Bay”.
Core Skills – Ruby on Rails/REST, PHP 5 OOP/MVC, jQuery, AJAX, Multi-tier Linux Server Expertise and Administration, Database Architecture and Administration, MySQL 5, CSS, XHTML, XML, Project Management Skills, Web 2.0 Technology, Open Source Software, Entrepreneurial Knowledge.
|Software Developer Social Platform – Los Angeles, CA||05/2005 – 01/2008|
• First engineer hired to create a white label social networking solution, laid technical ground work for many projects supporting company’s quick-to-market style growth.
• Worked as a software development lead and supervised several developers providing guidance and support on various projects.
• Assisted in the design and implementation of high traffic web systems meeting critical requirements and deadlines in support of high profile music industry clients and their fan networks (e.g.: Madonna, Los Lonely Boys, Ray J, & many others…).
• Provided technical support to clients.
Company was ultimately acquired by OneSite.com, after nearly 3 years of development.
|Computer Science Tutor West Virginia University – Morgantown, WV||01/2005 – 05/2005|
• Tutored a class of 40 students of variable skill levels a few days a week.
• Worked one-on-one, as well as in groups, with students to help them understand concepts from their courses.
• Responsible for monitoring and recording attendance as well as coordinating student reschedules with other tutors.
• Worked flexibly with other session tutors to ensure all sessions had available staff each week.
Core Skills: Programming languages, Computer Applications, and Engineering Science.
|Application Developer Red Beam Software – Colorado Springs, CO||09/2003 – 11/2004|
• Worked on small scale projects while I was a full time student in college.
• Developed web site layouts, conducted HTML adjustments, PHP code re-factoring, and research.
• Used Perl programming coupled with Wave 59 Technology to assist in stock market analysis.
|Research AssistantWest Virginia University – Morgantown, WV||01/2004 – 07/2004|
• After receiving Dr. Donald Adjeroh’s highest grade in a CS course, he hired me to work under his direction applying computer science theory to cancer research being done at the University.
|Application Developer (Intern) UUNET / MCI WorldCom – Ashburn, VA||06/1999 – 01/2001|
• MCI became my entry into computer science. I spent time job shadowing and assisting professional developers through which I learned fundamentals of programming.
Core Skills: Unix knowledge, SSH, Red Hat Linux, and Perl.
|Computer Science West Virginia University – Morgantown, WV||08/2003 – 08/2005|
Emphases – Object Oriented Programming (OOP), Design Patterns, Database Modeling, Database Design, Software Engineering, C++, Calculus
Things I do well…
Entrepreneur, Full Stack Engineer (Frontend Code/Backend Code), Dev Ops, System Administration, Infrastructure Planning, Analyst, Researcher, API Development, Project Management, Team Management/Building, Telecommuting
Yii, Laravel, Zend, Symfony, CodeIgniter, CakePHP, KohanaPHP, Ruby on Rails, Django, Doctrine, Phinx, jQuery, Prototype
Server Side Hat
Amazon Web Services (EC2, Route53, RDS, CloudFront, etc), TCP/IP Application Layer, Apache, Nginx, Ubuntu, CentOS, IpTables, Firewalling, Security, Performance Monitoring
MySQL, Mongo, Memcache, Redis, ActiveMQ
WordPress, Magento, Prestashop, Facebook, Twitter
Help me do my job
Multiple Macbook Pros, iPhone, TextMate, Skype, Google Hangouts, Pivotal Tracker/Pivotal Booster, Jira, Git, Mercurial, Subversion, Deployment Tooling (Capistrano, Ansible), Trac, SqlPro, DBWrench, LucidCharts, Office ( Word, Excel, PowerPoint )
Theory, Paradigms & Practices
Lean Startup, Agile, Scrum, Extreme Programming (XP), Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, Test-Driven Development (TDD), Object Oriented Programming (OOP), REST & RESTful Design, Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP), Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and Software as a Service (SaaS), Model View Client (MVC), Database Modeling, MySQL Administration, Subversion (SVN) Best Practices, PEAR CS Standards, PHP Doc, CSS Based Design, Web Standards, Unified Modeling Language (UML), Software Lifecycle, Design Patterns